Saturday, March 6, 2010

Back on Track

Today is all about getting back on track with living a simple and frugal lifestyle. With my parents illnesses and such there was just no time to do anything. I purchased an indoor clothesline yesterday and have decided to start line drying clothes to help more with the electric bill. We have already not been using the electric heat for almost two months, just the wood burning stove. Hubby is going to hook up an outdoor line in the next day or two, he has been cleaning up the yard and burning yard debris so not the ideal place to be drying clothes right now.
I have a galley style laundry room so not hardly any area in there to dry, only a few shirts can hang above the appliances. This room also serves as a food pantry will shelving up above.

This is our sunroom/schoolroom. The clothesline I purchased hardly holds anything but it is a start and it is retractable so it can stay up on the wall all the time.


Baking a loaf of bread also. Hope to bake a brown sugar pound cake later in the day. Tonight is Vaudeville night at our church and Grace will be in a couple of skits. But tonight is also hubby's new gallery showing. I will probably go with hubby and Grace will go with friends.



6 comments:

Pam... said...

I love your wood walls. We are going to do just that with ours in the livingroom after we insulate. It is a hundred yr. old home without insulation and the paneling needs to come down. Love the clothes line idea. It's too cold here, but later...

Kelly Rhoades said...

Hi Diane! Your clothes will just dry quicker and have interesting smells with the yard burning going on! Did you get my community sustainable garden info? And, next to Gusben's is Fieldale's new store. You can buy bulk chicken.

Cheryl Pitt said...

Hanging clothes to dry is going to be one of my energy saving tips in my series. It really saves a lot doesn't it? Brown sugar pound cake sounds divine! Where did you get your recipe? I've never heard of it before.

Tanya Murray said...

Drying your clothes naturally will save heaps of energy.

Kristenph said...

Keep track of the change in your electric bill if you can. I would be interested in seeing it and I bet others would be too. I have an even smaller laundry area than you, it's in a closet :) I'm not sure if it would be possible to dry inside.

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

We're trying to start making changes in the direction of living more frugally and simply as well. We are SO not there yet! Thanks for sharing this post! :)