Sunday, June 20, 2010

Civil War Unit

It has taken me some time to really stop and think what I wanted Grace to learn about The Civil War. I had some books here in our personal library that I knew I wanted to use, but also checked out many books to go through and pick out the best. That is exactly what I did today. It is looking like this unit will probably take the better part of 6-8 weeks to complete, but I feel it is worth it. The Civil War was such a tragic time in our country's history. This is what I have come up with so far:

Read Alouds
Across Five Aprils
Abraham's Battle
Clara Barton Founder of the American Red Cross

Books Grace Will Read Independently
If you Lived at the Time of the Civil War
Robert E. Lee
The Story of Fort Sumter
Library of Congress Book - Civil War
Kids During the American Civil War
The Gettysburg Address in Translation
Graphic Novel Abraham Lincoln
Ghosts of the Civil War

Items to Discuss
Civil War Generals - Ulysses S. Grant, Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson, William T. Sherman
Major Battles - Fort Sumter, Battle of Bull Run, Gettysburg, Sherman's March to the Sea
Reconstruction
Lincoln's Assassination

Activities, Videos and Field Trips
Watch parts of Gone With the Wind
Cut and Assemble a Southern Plantation
Visit the Cyclorama in Atlanta
Add all important figures and battles to our Book of Centuries
Color in maps showing Confederate and Union States
Visit a Civil War Battlefield

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a really interesting study. We live in an area where lots of reencactments occur in the warmer months - so that really helps with our Civil War studies. You have some great ideas - I'll have to keep some of those books in mind when we revisit the Civil War.

Lisa @ Heritage Homestead and Homeschool Academy
www.teachthemhisways.blogspot.com

Tonya @ The Traveling Praters said...

Great plan! We also used a Civil War era recipe book that I picked up at a flea market (a reproduction, not original). It had some great recipes to recreate. If you'd like, I'd be happy to send it your way. Just let me know. Blessings!:)