Saturday, August 14, 2010

Relay for Life

As many of my long time readers know, my mom has been battling thyroid cancer for 10 years and my Aunt died one year ago from breast cancer. Ironically my Aunt Linda died on August 13th last year and Relay for Life was last night which was August 13th. I couldn't think of a better way to honor her memory than to go and participate. My sister's company that she works for was a corporate sponsor which means they had a booth to raise money. She came up with a pretty cool idea. They did a Minute to Cure It just like the game show Minute to Win It. Raised a fair amount of money for the cause. Lots of people having fun doing really silly games. Zaxby's had a booth doing crazy hair, which of course Grace just had to do. I left my purse in the car so I didn't have my camera to take any picture. They had a survivor's walk which my mom did. For our small town we had a pretty good turn out, I would guess about 2000 people. I know that my sister and her team put in alot of work. Habersham EMC our local power company held a dinner for all cancer survivors a couple of nights ago also. They gave each survivor a t-shirt and cupcake with one candle on it to celebrate being alive this year and for another year to come. Mom has not had any treatment for the last couple of months and is feeling so good sometimes it is hard to remember that she actually has cancer. Thyroid Cancer grows slow and sometimes you are able to just sit and wait. We return To Emory at the end of September for another scan to find out how much if any growth has occurred.

2 comments:

Deb said...

That sounds lovely, Diane.

I hope all is well with your mom's doctor visit next month.

Kellie said...

I'll be praying for your mom. I can't imagine having to fight cancer for 10 years -- what a brave woman she must be.