Monday, February 28, 2011
Bella the chicken is holding her own. I don't think she is very happy having to stay on her own and not sure if she is eating alot. Seems alert but her rear end doesn't look great. If she can make it through the next week I think she will be okay. We had to fight every hen today for her egg. Everyone all of a sudden decided they wanted to sit.
Drama practice went well this afternoon. Lots of work on the Mad Hatter scene. Lots of choreography (musical chairs and such). We have about one more month of practices before our performances. Tried on Alice dress today, looking good.
Not much more to report today. Really tired. Just finished getting lessons ready for tomorrow. Now about to put away laundry, ride my bike, then veg in front of the TV for a while.
Sunday, February 27, 2011
Saturday, February 26, 2011
Friday, February 25, 2011
Thursday, February 24, 2011
Tuesday, February 22, 2011
- I looked at my stats for today and had 90 page views. That is great for a little old blog like me. I normally average only 30-50 a day.
- School and drama practice both went well today. Enjoying our new science unit on gardening. Grace keeps looking at the worm bin, but not much has happened yet. Kind of like the way she always wants to check outside to see if the chickens have laid any eggs for the day.
- Got a great seed catalog in the mail today and just looking so forward to putting some of this all in to motion.
- Hubby left after dinner to drop off an art piece for an Atlanta show this weekend.
- Looking forward to sewing skirts tomorrow with a friend.
- Need to catch up on all the Netflix dvds hanging around my house. Watched two episodes of CSI New York tonight to mail that one in.
- Had a great walk/run this afternoon in the beautiful pre-spring weather. It was really nice to realize after dinner I wouldn't need to go upstairs and ride my bike. Exercise already had a check mark beside it for the day.
- I have dropped away from crocheting and picked back up cross stitching. Working on a really hard project, lots of greens in a tree top. I don't think I am ever going to finish the tree part of the project.
Monday, February 21, 2011
Sunday, February 20, 2011
Saturday, February 19, 2011
Friday, February 18, 2011
Saturday - potluck at church
Sunday - Grilled cheese and soup
Monday - Hamburgers and roasted potatoes
Tuesday - Spaghetti
Wednesday - biscuits, bacon and eggs
Thursday - dinner out for my birthday
Friday - pizza
Saturday - sandwiches or leftovers
Sunday - hot dogs and oven fries
Monday - cheese ravioli, bread and salad
Tuesday - tacos
Wednesday - chicken mac and cheese
Thursday - manicotti, bread and salad
Friday - pizza
Thursday, February 17, 2011
- What kind of food to buy
- Fruits, Vegetables, and Where to shop
- Farm Animals
- Dairy and Eggs
- Packaged Foods
- Pots, pans, food storage, and tabletop
- Appliances and low-energy cooking
I found alot of the information fascinating and worthwhile. The information concerning organic food was well needed, still hovering on some of the buying local tips. I do truly believe we need to buy local or grow our own, just not sure how much of an impact I can actually make with my own food spending dollars. One of the most helpful bits of info I found was the coding on fruit and veggies:
- Organic should start with a number 9 and be a 5 digit number.
- Convention should start with a 4 and be a four digit number.
- GMOs should start with a 8 and be a 5 digit number.
Also interesting was the lists of "the dirty dozen" (fruits and veggies that have the most pesticides, etc.), maybe these should be grown at home or bought organic:
- Bell Pepper
I found this book to be so helpful and full of information I could really use on a daily basis. Alot of the information I learned will be written on index cards to stay in my purse for each grocery shopping trip. Looking so forward to grow some of our own this year.
Wednesday, February 16, 2011
- We are looking at a dehydrator to purchase with some of our refund money. We've been talking about this for a while. Neither of us like canned veggies. Drying food was our next option for storing foods. Hopefully will have one purchased by May. Just read in a drying food book that you can dry eggs - how cool is that.
- Gardening on a larger scale this year. We have an older neighbor with great soil and he doesn't garden very much anymore because of his age. We are looking to plant potatoes, strawberries, tomatoes, carrots, lettuces, spinach, cucumbers, squash and zucchini.
- We will allow one to two clutches to hatch to get more eggs next year.
- Probably this most exciting change is that hubby will be building a pond in the front island for us to raise catfish or trout. At that point we will have two sources of protein.
Some of my family and friends will probably think we are crazy, but we enjoy it and are trying to plan for the future.
Monday, February 14, 2011
Saturday, February 12, 2011
Friday, February 11, 2011
Thursday, February 10, 2011
Wednesday, February 9, 2011
Tuesday, February 8, 2011
- The Electric Bill - Last month I told everyone how depressed I was that our power bill was 200.00 with us not using our electric heat hardly at all. This month's bill was better at 150.00. I think the big difference was November through the first part of January we experienced lower than average temps for Georgia. Without staying up all night to keep the stove burning, usually around 4 in the morning the heat would kick on until someone got up and restarted the fire. In the latter part of January and now February the temps are hanging in the high 20's and 30's at night, which helps.
- The never ending saga of wood. Because of all the wood burning, hubby is really having to stay on top of the wood situation. We don't buy wood. Therefore, everything we burn comes from his place of business (wood that would be thrown out), fallen trees on our property and fallen wood on friend's property. Matter of fact hubby is out getting wood as we speak.
- After watching many videos, etc. over the years I have finally decided to pull myself off of diet coke. I think I have been drinking it for 5-6 years. I have cut down on soda consumption to 1-2 glasses a day. Same for Grace. Hopefully this will not increase the weight factor.
- School is going well this week. Of course that can always change at the drop of a hat.
- Thinking alot about what I want to try and garden this year. I don't want to start from seeds because of the lack of sun on our property. I really want to find veggies already started that are not GMOs. I think I want to try alot of greens for us and the chickens, strawberries, cucumbers, potatoes, tomatoes, green peppers, and some herbs. Last year I gardened in containers on our front and back deck. It was a constant battle keeping the squirrels from eating the strawberries. Did I mention we live in a forest. This year I might have to invest in some netting to cover them.
- Trying to decided if we want the chickens to lay on their own eggs or incubate them. I know that Grace would really enjoy the experience of incubating the eggs, but it would cost us about 100.00 - 140.00 for all the supplies. I am thinking let's just let nature take its course and have the chickens deal with their own business. Only item I am concerned of is the adult chickens hurting the chicks.
- Hubby just finished a big art project for a contest in Atlanta. It is fantasy themed. I will try to get a picture soon and post it along with his blog address. (He doesn't update very often.)
- Got to hang out laundry today for the first time this year. Not so patiently waiting for spring.
Sunday, February 6, 2011
Saturday, February 5, 2011
Friday, February 4, 2011
Thursday, February 3, 2011
Saturday - Cheese Tortellini
Sunday - Soup and Sandwiches
Monday - Chicken Legs, mac and Cheese, Corn, Salad
Tuesday - Homemade Pizza
Wednesday - Beef Roast, roasted potatoes, salad, bread
Thursday - Grilled Burgers
Friday - Spaghetti
Saturday - Hot Dogs, chips or mac and cheese
Sunday - Homemade pizza
Monday - Baked Ziti
Tuesday - B-cue chicken, mac and cheese, corn, salad
Wednesday - Tacos
Thursday - Biscuits, Eggs, Bacon
Friday - Eat Out