Friday, February 18, 2011

The Price of Food

Grocery shopping this afternoon was down right depressing. I only shopped at one store and spent $150.00. Still need to run to another store in the morning for a handful of items. I might be able to make it for two weeks on what I have with the exception of produce and milk. The price of meat was just discouraging. I couldn't afford any pork or beef roast this go around. The least expensive roast was $12.00 and the organic beef was $18.00. Luckily I still had some chicken, and ham here at the house. The rest of the hen house really need to start producing. I then can start incorporating more egg dishes into the menu like omelets, egg salad, etc. I was able to incorporate 4-5 meatless meals in the next two week menu plan.

Saturday - potluck at church
Sunday - Grilled cheese and soup
Monday - Hamburgers and roasted potatoes
Tuesday - Spaghetti
Wednesday - biscuits, bacon and eggs
Thursday - dinner out for my birthday
Friday - pizza
Saturday - sandwiches or leftovers
Sunday - hot dogs and oven fries
Monday - cheese ravioli, bread and salad
Tuesday - tacos
Wednesday - chicken mac and cheese
Thursday - manicotti, bread and salad
Friday - pizza

4 comments:

Heidi said...

The grocery store prices are getting very depressing! I've heard the suggestion to stock up on what you can now, since the prices are expected to increase more. It's hard to do when trying to budget, but if you pick up in bulk when items are on sale, it helps out a great deal in the long run.

Kelly Rhoades said...

I spent 114.50. Only 1 package of ground turkey. You need to make my Sams trip with me when I go.

Jane said...

I share your pain, I spent about the same you did and the only meat I bought was chicken wings,salmon and fish.I have also been trying to stock up and put back,but that is getting hard to do. Blessings jane

Jen U. said...

I am having the same problem with grocery prices here. It's sad and frustrating. We are very serious about raising chickens once we find our our place this Spring that we want to move too. I will have to get some pointers from you, when we reach that point.