Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Culture vs. Cram

Every summer I start reading homeschooling books for encouragement and research. Last year I purchased A Charlotte Mason Companion by Karen Andreola at a used book sale and read through it once then. I started reading it again this week. I strayed somewhat from CM methods from December until April for various reasons. I am re energized from what I am reading and absorbing. Grace is not interested in school. Her 2 1/2 years in public school along with some struggles in spelling, math, and writing has killed her desire to gain knowledge. This next school year we will be taking a step back and trying to get some joy back into our school days. I am tired of trying to cram so much information in my child's brain just to keep up with what the state says they should learn at each grade level. The state is not raising my child, I am. Enough! It won't happen this next year. Our motto for next year is using a child's curiosity and training to develop good habits. Encouraging self education. Okay, I'm off my soap box now. Here is a quote from A Charlotte Mason Companion that really struck me today.



It should not be, "How much has your child covered?" but "How much does he care?" and " About how many things does he care?" Developing relationships with God, man, and the universe is what is important.


No comments: