Monday, May 16, 2011

Different Type of School This Week

As I have mentioned before I created a list of activities that Grace can accomplish in a day to collect minutes for electronic time. This is our last week of school. I decided to go ahead and start the list today and count it as school because the next three days will be standardized testing and Friday is our group's field day. I told Grace to choose six items off the list to count as her school today. You would have thought I was pulling teeth. The child does not want to do anything or learn anything. This summer is all about getting her to make better choices with her time. Choices that will help her gain knowledge. So anyway, so far this morning she chose a short documentary about dolphins, listening to an audio book for 30 minutes and crocheting. I am very curious to see what three things she will pick to round out her morning of school. We do have drama this afternoon which will be counted as part of the school day. I am trying really hard to get her away from electronics as much as possible. I know that most all of this is my fault. I have let her be on the computer as much as she has wanted with the exception of school time and when she gets grounded from it, usually for disobeying. She has never really had any restrictions of TV time just what she chooses to watch. Wish us luck!

3 comments:

Nekkid Chicken said...

Honey, I feel your pain. Just today, while I was busy doing class with Zephyr. Saenz was plugged into music on his computer. Granted, he was installing the World Book of Knowledge which could run without his help. He was just glued to the computer vice reading his daily lessons as the computer did its job. Later this afternoon he and I will be discussing again that no 'media' means no 'media' until school lessons are completed.

SIGH I am questioning my decision to start our 7th & 1st grade year as the regular school year ends. They loose so much when taking such a long summer break. Decisions and indecisions abound here on the farm.

Good Luck
Mal

Free Spirit Beth said...

I do not know if this is the usual for Grace or if this is just the end of the school year slow down and lack of interest. Gee, in the b&m school they spend the last several weeks gearing up to end.
I have purposefully not posted a last day of school so we keep within the norm. THey have asked and I say "very soon" but " we have to get this work done before we stop".

I am finding that I will keep that stratigy in the future as well. So many co-op friends are struggling with their children.

I do not get it, we began at 10:30 and ended at 1:15 today...with lunch in the middle. I have even broken from a "recess" lately. They have not noticed as they play all early morning.
Media is not something thy have had in their home for a couple of years. Only this past month is there a TV again as M has a better job.

Kelly Rhoades said...

Horrible school day here. It was a struggle getting any of them to do what they were supposed to do. They'll do better for you tomorrow though.