Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Living Books for Science

As I have mentioned before, Grace is not that fond of Science. In the past we have studied alot of nature and animals because that is what she enjoys and understands best. In looking for Science curriculum for this 7th grade year it was tough. I knew I didn't want to go the Apologia route with General Science. I have heard one to many times how boring it seems to be. So to make a long story short I went back to my tried and true mentor, Simply Charlotte Mason, and learned that the curriculum guide now has recommendations for using living science books as opposed to textbooks. I knew that this would be the best path for us now but could change in the future. I would really like to continue using living books for Science all the way through high school. I have her journal or narrate twice a week from the chapters that she reads. If I do not assign a written narration I do have her give me an oral one. So far we have finished "Galen and the Gateway to Medicine" within the last month. Grace learned that he was the first real "doctor", worked for many Roman leaders, treated gladiators, and wrote many books about anatomy and medicine. His books were actually used for 1500 years after his death. She is now several chapters into "Along Came Galileo" and will finish it by Christmas. In January we will start a biography about Blaise Pascal. This just seems like a much more relaxed and interesting way to study Science than through textbooks. Would love to hear your thoughts and comments about what you use for Science.

2 comments:

Blossom Barden (NorthLaurel) said...

I agree... For my son (who is also a 7th grader) we use various books- The Story Book of Science, Murche's Science Reader Book VI, and The Sciences. He does mostly oral narrations. We were doing notebooking with The Story Book of Science but haven't for awhile. I'm having a more difficult time with doing it in high school with my daughter.

Kelly Rhoades said...

As you know, I didn't like Apologia or Answers in Genesis. Zach is liking the Abeka 7th grade book. It has a chapter on different things and doesn't stick to just one topic. Lots of activities. I'm impressed with Real Science 4 Kids. It has short focused lessons for 4 days and the 5th day is a lab to tie it all in.