Saturday, April 7, 2012

Experimenting With School

I am hedgy about calling this experiment unschooling or child-directed, but I guess it is somewhat of a form of these two combined. We have two months left of school and I really want to try something different. As I have mentioned before Grace hates anything academic and I really want to try and instill a love of learning in her mind before she graduates from school. So here is my plan, if all goes well we will continue this next year. I am putting Grace in charge of her education (with some guidance from me). She will pick each week what she wants to study in history, science, keepers projects, watching documentaries, and english. The only real mainstay will be math. At the end of each day she will be required to write two paragraphs in her journal about what she learned that day from all of her choices. I am hoping with her being in charge of her choices it will ignite some interest in researching and gaining more knowledge. Here is what each month will look like:
Week One and Three
Math
History
Keeper of the Home Projects
Bible
Liberty Treehouse (on GBTV) or documentary
Independent Reading
Read Aloud

Week Two and Four
Math
Science
Keeper of the Home Projects
Bible
English
Independent Reading
Liberty Treehouse or documentary

Again she will write two paragraphs in her journal each day to describe what she read, watched, heard and learned. There are 18 categories in the Keepers book to choose from and I have added a little incentive - when she finishes one selection from each 18 categories she will receive a $50 itunes gift card. Of course it will take 6months - a year to finish everything. I would also like to add that she will continue with her two art classes, drama ministry team, drama group performing The Jungle Book, and all her creative endeavors here at the house. Scott and Grace are in the process of creating a graphic novel to take to anime com in Atlanta this September. Next week from Amazon Grace will receive anime software to further her creations, and she draws almost nonstop. So I feel I need to loosen the reins some and let her find herself and have a little more control over her academic life. I will keep you posted.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Sounds like a great plan! I hope it is a blessing to both of you. I think you are wise to do this!

Blessings
Leslie