Friday, November 2, 2012

What We did for Prepping This Week

As I mentioned in a previous post, we purchased a bushel of apples this past weekend for $18.00. Our mission was to dry all of them for the winter.


Yesterday I cut up only 8-10 big Rome apples and they filled all the trays. I still have half of the bag left to dry.



Here is the finished product. Turned out just perfect. 



We also had to turn the small raised bed in to a green house this past weekend. Hurricane Sandy brought us much colder temperatures. Down in the low 30's at night. Hubby moved all the herbs including our Stevia to the raised bed for the winter.

3 comments:

Staci@LifeAtCobbleHillFarm said...

Diane, have you tried drying watermelon? I would like to try it next year but wanted to know if anyone else has been successful in doing so.

Natalia said...

Yeah, that's the thing about dehydrating, the trays fill up fast! At least apples are good keepers. It's hard to remember to do more every single day though. My dehydrator is out in the back of the house and I am always forgetting it. I really like the peeler/corer gadgets for drying as the slices are so uniform.

Natalia
http://preputilityvehicle.blogspot.ca

Unknown said...

Staci, We have not tried watermelon, but we did try cantaloupe two years ago. Hubby liked it.