Saturday, December 15, 2012

Weekly Wrap Up - The One With An Emergency Room Visit, Minor Surgery and a Car Accident

With a title like that who wouldn't come and read this post. It has been an interesting week. Even with everything going on we were still able to get some school work done as this was our last week before Christmas Break. I guess I will break this down into categories to best address each topic:

On the Personal Front- As I mentioned in a previous post I have had a lot of female issues over the past 6 weeks and this culminated in an emergency room visit on Monday night and an ablation performed on Friday. On the way home from the procedure a young teen girl pulled right out in front of my mom and we got into a car accident. No one was hurt, but I was cramping so badly that I called my husband to come and get me so I could get home in bed. After about 4 hours of cramping, pain meds weren't really helping, it finally stopped and I can say this morning I am feeling better.

History - Grace has been working on two different units this week, Greek Mythology and World War I. In Greek Mythology she is creating awesome art journaling page to share the information she has learned. The World War I unit has just been started and we are using a lapbook from Hands of a Child. Of course Grace doesn't care anything about cutting and pasting, we just use the information and answer all the questions.
Science - Grace is creating a notebook that has all the major science concepts she should know by the age of 14. This week we made pages about the Earth's layers and the Rock  Cycle. Once we are finished with this book it will be a great resource for studying for any standardized tests in the future to refresh her memory about basic science concepts. She includes all kinds of colorful diagrams and explanations.

Math - Currently we are working through a geometry workbook from Math Essentials. This week was polygons and classifying triangles as well as some review work from previous concepts.

English - Grace attended her weekly essay writing class and turned in her second major essay for the semester about the pilgrims. After class we stayed for a Christmas party until I started feeling bad and had to get us home. Grace finished reading the book Holes a couple of weeks ago and loved it so this week I got the movie from Netflix and she loved it too. Currently she has started reading the new Merlin series and is in book 1. She also did some review exercises in her Language Lessons book: quotations, commas, and semi colons.

Bible - We are working through Journey to Bethlehem which is an advent activity. We have missed a few days due to my problems.

Extras- Monday night was recitals for puppetry arts, tone chimes, choir, and dance. It went really well and all the parents enjoyed watching the kids perform. I was able to go to lunch with my fellow cooperative teachers on Wednesday and ate some really good food and a really festive setting. Tuesday night we ate with the family at my mom's house.

Favorite thing we used this week would probably be Journey to Bethlehem from Bow of Bronze. We love listening to the recommended music while reading the scriptures. This is making the month of December that more special for us.

Please be sure to visit Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers to see what other families have been up to this week.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

That must have been scary. Glad no one was hurt. I love the notebooking pages. Very good job.

Fran said...

I hope you are feeling better now and I am glad too that no one was hurt xxx

Staci@LifeAtCobbleHillFarm said...

My goodness. I sincerely hope things get better - happy you are doing ok.
Take care.

Erin D - The Usual Mayhem said...

Yikes, how scary! Glad that nobody was hurt and that your cramping is better.

It reminds me a little of when I was in labour with D - we were on our way to the hospital in a taxi and it was rear-ended on the highway. The driver was already freaked out (I think he thought he was going to have to deliver in the cab or something) and this stressed him out to the point where he didn't even exchange info with the guy that hit us before he took off again.

What Language Lessons are you using? The Queen ones? How do you like them for an older student?

Traci's Teaching Times said...

Oh my goodness, may God send you lots of Christmas cheer after all you have been through. Hope you are feeling better now. Bless you and your family

Deb said...

I hope you are feeling better, Diane. I have a friend who had what sounds like a similar procedure, and it made a world of difference for her.