Friday, January 25, 2013

Weekly Wrap Up - The One With Ice in the Forecast

Another busy week under our belt. This week we finished up some materials and started new ones. The one I am most excited about is Apologia's Who Am I? And What Am I Doing Here?. We absolutely loved the first one. I was lucky enough to pick up the second volume with all the other materials that go with it used from a fellow homeschooler. We started it yesterday and just love all of it. Matter of fact my mom saw the first volume on my dining room table one day and asked to read it after we were finished, so now it is at her home being enjoyed for devotions by another person. Well let's get down to the nitty gritty of what went on this week:

Sunday
Sunday morning we attended worship service then headed over to my mom's for lunch to celebrate her birthday. Baked Ziti, salad, bread and a great chocolate cake. Great to see everyone, especially Travis. I had not seen him in about a week and just miss him so much. After the party my sister came home with me and we went on a long walk. This is the first walk I had been on in maybe three months due to weather, surgery, and illness. Of course I have been going to Zumba classes and using the Wii here at home for exercise. The point I am getting to is that the walk made my shin splints act up. Weird that I Zumba like four times a week with no shin issues but the first walk I take aggravates them.

Monday
School took place in the morning. Some topics we are learning and discussing this week consist of: whales and ocean life, fertile crescent, early farmers and hunters and gatherers. Review of perimeter, circumference, diameter, and problem solving with each. Grace attended Acts of Faith practice which was moved from last week due to inclement weather. While Grace was practicing I went to a Zumba class by a much loved instructor.

Tuesday
Did some school again in the morning, but Tuesday is Cooperative day and takes up a lot of our time. I had to arrive early to copy some cds of music for Aladdin. Grace attended her normal classes of drama, choir, and art history. In my art class the students learned about Norman Rockwell and his work with the Saturday Evening Post. I had the students create their own magazine and create a cover to illustrate just like he did. After cooperative hubby met us for dinner at Zaxbys. Once dinner was over I rushed home to watch a webinar from How To Home School My Child. Did a little reading before bed then crashed.

Wednesday
Again we had school in the morning - do you see a trend here? Grace watched an Imax movie about the deep sea for a review we are doing and also read some from America the Beautiful. We attended our Youth Service meeting and finally decided on a service that would work for everyone. The students decided to throw a Valentine's party for an assisted living home in our community. We will be meeting again for them to practice some music they will be presenting as well as making some cards to hand out and play some games. In the evening after dinner me and Grace has a 45 minute dance off with Wii Just Dance 4 for exercise.

Thursday
More school. Grace attended her Beginner Essay Writing class in the afternoon and her art class. She is writing an expository paper about the Japanese internment camps in the 1940s. I attended another Zumba class in the evening after dinner and Grace skyped with some friends for 2 1/2 hours. They are discussing all things MoMo Con. Grace has finally found friends with the same interests in anime/manga. Currently they are discussing what costumes to make for cosplay at the convention. This will be happening in March so they have to hurry and get all their details together.

Friday
This brings us back to today. This morning was to be Electricity Class but the weather is getting in our way. In our area in the Northeast Georgia Mountains we are expecting about 1/4 inch of freezing rain so all classes have been cancelled. I let Grace sleep in this morning and we will do some school work after lunch. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

For more Weekly Wrap Ups please go and visit Kris at Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers.

I have also started linking this to 'It's a Wrap" over at Hammock Tracks. Be sure to go check it out.

5 comments:

Nichole said...

Looks like a good/busy week! We're supposed to be getting some freezing rain and icy stuff here today, too.

Sylvia said...

Wow!! You guys pack a lot into a week! It sounds like a lot of fun!
I'm now following you on google.

Savannah McQueen said...

I hope the ice didn't treat you too badly. My brother is also in the mountains of Georgia - Mineral Bluff. I enjoyed reading your post and I hope you'll consider adding this to my end of the week link-up, Its a Wrap. -Savannah www.hammocktracks.com

Traci's Teaching Times said...

Great week, lots of schooling. Hope the weather wasn't too bad for you all.

Savannah McQueen said...

Thanks for linking up with Its a Wrap last week. I have featured you this week.