Friday, June 14, 2013

Creating Your Own Opportunities

Have you ever wanted your child to take a class but discovered that the class you are interested in is full, too expensive, or doesn't even exist? Well, we live in a small community and that happens to us often. As many of my readers may know that is why last year me and a friend created a fine arts cooperative. We say a need and wanted something affordable for our children as well as others in the community. The cooperative has just blossomed into something so wonderful. Sixty kids participated last semester and it looks to be just as big for the upcoming semester. Anyway with that kind of thinking I also wanted to do something over the summer related to art journaling. You see I love to art journal but never make the time to do it. Also I knew some of the teen girls from the cooperative would love to see each other over the summer. So out of all those thought processes I decided to put together an art journaling group that would meet once a week to create art.
Yesterday was our first meeting and we had 8 girls show up to create. I have lots of supplies so I let the girls go to town with what I had available. I asked them to bring a bound sketch pad and if they had any extra markers, etc. that wanted to bring to work with. From the responses we will have anywhere between 6-12 girls each Thursday for a couple of hours to art journal. Most of the pages the girls did were about favorites and music lyrics. Next week we will be journaling about a special trip. 

Just because there is not a particular class or opportunity available in your area doesn't mean you cannot create it yourself. Take the plunge. Teens are so much fun to spend time with. You will truly be blessed by the experience.

4 comments:

Leslie said...

This looks like a great opportunity! I love that you saw a need and started it up! Great job!

A Candle to Read By said...

IV had a great time. Thanks so much for doing this for all of them. You have a beautiful home.

LJS said...

This is wonderful! I love creating these opportunities. The struggle I am having right now is that often my girls love them so I extend them past the original time period, then inevitably people start dropping out or not coming regularly and I am faced with the dilemma of discontinuing the activity or inviting new people in. My art group has been active for over 2 years. My writing group is facing some challenges and we need to determine the direction it will go in.

I love their artwork. I hope you had as much fun as they did!

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

This is fabulous! I've toyed with the idea of starting up something like this. I love the journal pages you shared.

Thanks so much for visiting my Friday's Fave Five post!