Sunday, July 28, 2013

Weekly Wrap Up

It has been a few weeks since I participated in Weekly Wrap Up with Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers. Mainly because we took a break from school work and quite frankly this summer has been pretty boring. No vacation, no special little side trips ......nada. The past few months have been tough for a number of reasons. Some issues that have required weekly doctor's appointments, the lack of funds to do a vacation or summer related activities, and lots of rain.

Last week while visiting a larger town for said doctor's appointment, I visited a larger library than we have in our small town. Checked out some interesting books to read.

We had our former pastor and his family over for dinner this week. It had been 3 or 4 months since we had seen them and it was great to sit around the kitchen table and catch up. Before we knew it three hours of chatting had transpired. Hopefully it won't be another 3 months until we all see one another again. None of use plus some other friends we know have been able to find a church we feel comfortable attending. There was a small discussion about once a month meeting in a home together on Sunday morning for Bible study and then lunch. I really hope this works out.

Over the past week I have ordered all the materials I need to teach Puppetry Arts, Elementary Art, Fun with Literature, and Yearbook Staff for the Cooperative. I watched a really great training DVD for Puppetry Arts and am very excited about starting.

Yesterday I sat down with Grace and showed her all the materials she would be using for school this year and how we will be implementing them. She was a little overwhelmed (of course this is her first year of high school) but still seemed a little excited about what she will be using and learning. We put our own twist on every subject because "doing school" at home is not really what we are striving for. More like learning and growing each year through various experiences and materials that we have around the house. Think lots of reading, especially Medieval History, Ornithology, and Literature with small amounts of writing and projects interspersed to show what she has learned from the books we are reading. Tuesday of this week is our school start date. Because of other scheduled items we will only be in school on Tuesday and Friday. Then the next week will hopefully be a full week.

Many of you might have missed my post about our bear experience. It was frightening but great at the same time.

As many of you know Grace loves to draw. She draws as much digitally as she does on paper. Well a few weeks ago her bamboo tablet finally bit the dust. This week we were able to purchase a new one and she has been beyond excited about having it back and creating all sorts of fabulous sketches. We purchased the Bamboo Splash. Other than a few problems getting it to sync to her computer, she is now off and running. I promise to share some of her art soon. So this tablet would have to be her very favorite item from this week.

Something else I was uber excited about this week is the fact that Grace finally attended a Zumba class with me and actually enjoyed it. She has agreed to attend two classes a week with me. I am so excited to share this experience with her as well as getting some exercise in the process.


I am linking up with Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers.





1 comment:

LJS said...

How wonderful that you are Zumba-ing together! I would love for my girls to come to yoga with me. I hope that someday we can do downward dog side by side!

I love the glimpses into your week. I learn so much from what you share!