Sunday, August 11, 2013

Baking Day - Gluten-Free Style

Today I was determined to bake some gluten-free items that were actually edible. My thoughts were to do muffins, bread, and cookies. I have already tried some recipes for muffins and cookies that were good but wanted to widen the scope a bit. A couple of weeks ago I purchased coconut flour from Amazon for a tortilla recipe that failed miserably. This means I had a lot of coconut flour that needed to be used. So the first recipe I tried was for muffins made with coconut flour.

Even though these turned out a bit dark they tasted just fine. I snatched this recipe from The Spunky Coconut. I will definitely being using this recipe again.

Next on the agenda was a cookie mix I purchased from a local cottage business. When I originally add all the ingredients, it was still to dry. I added more butter and they turned out flat and lacy, but still tasty.


Last but not least is sandwich bread. We have cut down on eating bread dramatically since going gluten-free. Grace doesn't like bread at all, hubby only needs sandwich bread when working his three long day shifts, and I currently use rice tortillas for my sandwiches. Every once in a while I would like something I could use for a grilled cheese. This recipe I found on Pinterest but didn't remember to pin it and now I can't find where it came from. The ingredients were: sorghum flour, white rice flour, tapioca starch, potato starch, almond milk, xanthum gum, salt, sugar, honey, eggs, yeast, and butter. I think this one might be a keeper.


It didn't rise as much as I would have liked, but still usable for toast and garlic bread. I am still on a mission to perfect this whole baking bread at home thing without gluten.



No comments: