Friday, August 30, 2013

Remembering the Past

We always start our mornings off with the Apologia series, What We Believe. This semester we have started on the third book in the series, Who Is My Neighbor. Today's readings took me right back to my childhood. In this chapter the book talked about Mr. Rogers Neighborhood and Barry Manilow writing and singing the advertising jingle for State Farm (Like a good neighbor State Farm is there) in his early days. I have always been a huge fan of Barry Manilow and of course anyone in my age range watched Mr. Rogers Neighborhood as a kid. This made me think that Grace literally had no idea who Mr. Rogers was and had vague notions of Barry Manilow. I immediately went to youtube to find a clip of each for her and she of course was horrified that any kid would have liked Mr. Rogers and that the puppets were really creepy. She did enjoy the clip of Barry Manilow singing the advertisements for Dr. Pepper, Pepsi, KFC, and McDonalds. She was most familiar with the Band-Aids commercial song because that one is actually still played today.




7 comments:

jvsnajder said...

Diane,

I wanted to ask you if you did anything with Lilac petals when you studied the Lilah Herb Fairy Book. We picked this up again and now that it is almost September, I cannot find any lilac petals to do any of the recipes. Did you grow your own or purchase them and if so, where????

Thanks!!
Jessica

LJS said...

sorry. That was supposed to be on my email. Jessica.

Miranda Hupp said...

We love Apologia! Its a great way to start the day. :)

Lexi said...

I love Mr. Rogers and used to watch his show all the time. I have a few DVD's of his show that my kids love to watch. And I just asked my husband who Barry Manilow was and he just laughed at me.
But I plan to use the Apologia books with my kids starting next year. They are great but we're just not quite fully ready for them.

Unknown said...

We're starting Who Is My Neighbor next week. Can't wait for the Barry Manilow/Mr. Rogers connection. That will be fun to share with Ben!

k balman said...

Love that aplogia series!

Ellen said...

How funny! I'll have to show my daughter some old Mr. Rogers and see what she thinks...lol!