Thursday, November 7, 2013

The Middle Ages - Beowulf

As I mentioned in a previous post our entire year of history is devoted to the Middle Ages. The book we are using as our spine is Famous Men of the Middle Ages and the accompanying workbook. Last week it was recommended through the workbook to read Beowulf. I am ashamed to say that I have no recollection of ever reading this epic Anglo-Saxon poem. We chose a young adult retelling to read.

We enjoyed it but did find it to be quite gruesome. The illustrations were beautiful, well done, and suited the story well..



Today we watched an animated version on you tube to give Grace a different perspective.




1 comment:

dstb said...

We'll be doing Beowulf later this year. We did a young children's version a couple of years ago. We are going to do Seamus Heaney's version this year.

The other thing I have on my list is a book called Grendel by John Gardner. It tells the story from the monster's perspective. Thought it might be interesting to compare.

I've been enjoying reading your blog even though I don't always comment.

Thanks,
Sarah